So you think you’re obsessed with clothes?

Kris Fettkether

It may not have such names as Calvin, Boss or DKNY, and the beauties sporting the outfits might not be saturated with attitude, but the Textiles & Clothing fashion show has plenty up its sleeve. Experimental clothing made from shower curtains, foil cupcake liners, tissue paper and curling ribbon are among the fashions that will be modeled at “Signatures of Style.”

The student-run-and-organized show will include traditional flat-pattern designs, experimental garments and merchandising promotions designed by Iowa State textiles and clothing majors. Also participating will be student-models.

The textiles and clothing students were given various assignments to create throughout the semester. Among them was to make a design out of paper. Designer Maureen McGrath, a senior in textiles and clothing, said she wanted her paper creation to look realistic.

“I wanted to do something that looked like it was actual fabric,” she said. “I wanted simple colors for the gown. It’s kind of Cinderella-inspired.”

McGrath’s gown of paper involves a bodice woven from curling ribbon and a full skirt made of tissue paper. The lengthy project is just one of three she has entered in the show.

McGrath said the show is an excellent opportunity for students to display their works. “The fashion show is a really good idea,” she said. “It gives us a chance to put on a show and for others to see what we do.”

“Signatures of Style” takes place tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the Brunnier Art Museum in Scheman Building. Tickets are $5 and may be reserved by calling 294-2695.