ISU’s social work program to end

Heather Wiese

Iowa State’s faculty in the department of sociology has voted unanimously to discontinue the social work program after the spring of 1997, leaving both the faculty’s and students’ futures in limbo.

A 1994 decision by the Council on Social Work Education denied accreditation to ISU’s social work program after December 1996. Since then, the department had considered either reapplying for accreditation or offering a non-accredited degree.

Stephen Aigner, the chair of the social work program, said the program primarily needed additional funding, but it “needs support for a high quality baccalaureate program,” he said. To be considered for reaccreditation, the social work program needed additional faculty.

“To have a fighting chance, we needed at least one more person,” Aigner said.

The future of the faculty in social work is uncertain.

“At the present time, we don’t know [what will happen],” Aigner said. “I’m sure Iowa State will find something for me to do, but it won’t be what I’ve done for the last 23 years. It’s difficult; I like what I did.”

Cindy Starr, an adjunct assistant professor and adviser in social work, said communication has been an issue throughout the social work ordeal.

“Iowa State works on a formal system. You must go through channels” for information, she said. However, Starr said she is “just happy someone finally made a decision.”

Starr, who is exploring her options, said the university has mentioned a new advising position to be created for her, but she has made no decisions.

While faculty members in social work are seeking new jobs, the students in social work are faced with the decision to switch majors or transfer to another school.

“Our recommendation to students is to transfer to an accredited program or maybe change their majors to sociology or child and family services,” Aigner said.

The department had offered a accelerated program for students who can graduate by December 1996 with an accredited degree; however, Starr was unaware if such a program would continue after the recent decision to eliminate the program entirely. Janna Shelby, a junior in social work from Atlanta, Ga., is among the students scrambling to graduate before December 1996.

“This is frustrating for us because it feels like a lack of concern for us. They’re playing with our future,” Shelby said.

Shelby said many students who do not graduate by December plan to switch their majors to sociology or child and family services.

“I think they should be trying to get reaccreditation,” Shelby said.

Unlike Shelby, Libby Bell, a sophomore from Keota, was forced to change her major to sociology.

“I feel like the university has failed the social work students,” Bell said. “I’m an athlete here on scholarship so I could not transfer to another school.”

With a major in sociology, Bell can no longer be a social worker; however, sociology seemed a better option than a second class degree.

“Most people are looking to hire someone from an accredited program,” she said. “It’s like being unqualified.”