Controversy gains momentum

The polarized camps surrounding the Carrie Chapman Catt Hall controversy grew a little larger Thursday as different off-campus groups voiced support and opposition for the building’s name.

While 26 female state lawmakers gave their formal support for the new name of Old Botany, the president of the Ames chapter of the NCAA said it’s time for the university to admit that Catt’s name doesn’t belong on a university building.

“The university needs to publicly acknowledge that it made a mistake. It needs to publicly acknowledge that sometimes good people can do bad things,” NCAA chapter president George Jackson told a crowd of about 100 students and faculty at noon on Thursday.

Jackson, who spoke on the steps of Beardshear Hall, said the university is now in a position to correct its mistakes.

His comments received attention from at least some people in Beardshear as several onlookers listened from open third-story windows.

“It is our position that the university should record that it made a mistake, but they should also let history record that they corrected it,” he said.

Jackson’s speech comes in light of a growing movement of students and faculty who are calling for the university to rename Catt Hall because of racist remarks Catt made during her lifetime.

“Iowa State has a long and productive track record of equality and excellence,” he said, citing ISU’s first African-American student and faculty member, George Washington Carver, as one example. “It must be among the first universities that will say, ‘I will not perpetuate racism in any form or fashion.'”

Jackson, who is also an assistant dean in the graduate college, also warned the crowd to be responsible in its actions.

“I think your call is a worthy one, and I think your call is a must one,” he said. “But think sincerely about what you do. Make sure it’s founded in the best research you can get. And make sure your actions do not interrupt the normal work flow of this university. Because to do that means that you will win a hollow victory.”

But the women in the Iowa Legislature said Thursday that it is a battle that should not be fought.

In a signed letter of support the lawmakers said, “We should honor all persons who have worked for freedom throughout history. We remind ourselves how much better our world is due to the accomplishments, even when some of their positions, in their time, were not in line with the way we think today.”

Sen. Johnie Hammond, a Democrat from Ames, said the letter had the support of every female lawmaker in the Legislature.

“Even as we know everybody is not perfect, it kind of hurts that people don’t understand how many women feel about the significance and achievements of Carrie Chapman Catt,” Hammond said.

She said she signed the letter of support because people have forgotten the importance of women’s right to vote.

“I have been almost hurt that our black brothers and sisters don’t celebrate the fact that we got the right to vote, and that is a cause to celebrate,” Hammond said.

While Hammond does not support the movement to rename Catt Hall, she said, “I think this discussion has been healthy.”