This is only a drill…

To The Editor:

Fire drills have been common events for all students who live in dorms.

Since I live in Storms Hall I know exactly how it feels when we have a fire drill. I agree that we need to have a fire drill once in a while because it is for our own good.

What I really disagree with is that when the fire alarm goes off during a fire drill and we do not wake up, we will be charged fifty dollars by the Department of Residence Halls.

One night, my roommate and I went to sleep rather late. Suddenly someone knocked on our door. I woke up and I heard that the fire alarm was ringing. I jumped out of my bed and opened the door. It was my RA.

He asked us to go to the Commons, the complex between Storms and Knapp Halls, because there was a fire drill. We did what he asked us to do.

A week later, we received a letter informing us of a fifty-dollar fine for not waking up during the fire drill.

I was so upset about it, but I could not do anything.

Though I was upset because of the fine, I thought, what if the fire really happened on that day and I did not wake up because I did not hear the fire alarm?

I am sure this has happened to other residents. I know some of us feel too sleepy, tired or lazy to wake up during a fire drill.

Sometimes students think that it is alright if they just stay in their rooms. We should realize that this is wrong and we should be punished if we purposely do that.

However, if the fire alarm is not waking a student like me up, then maybe the Department of Residence Halls should be more concerned about it.

Hendra Pribadi

Freshman

Industrial Engineering