Questions remain over departure of top affirmative action officer

Heather Wiese

David Torres’ two-year relationship with Iowa State ended quietly Feb. 29, but questions remain over the reason for the resignation of ISU’s top affirmative action officer.

Torres, the former affirmative action director at both the University of Nevada and Weber State University, was selected to head ISU’s affirmative action office in March 1994. Only 17 months later, he announced he was leaving that position to explore teaching.

“I have changed positions because I’m looking to change my direction, and I wanted to go into teaching,” Torres said in an interview prior to leaving ISU.

ISU President Martin Jischke praised Torres when he stepped down. In a news release, Jischke said, “I appreciate David’s efforts on behalf of Iowa State in the more than 16 months he has been here. I wish him the best as he makes his change.”

Though Torres said in the same news release that he has been “involved with affirmative action for more than 20 years” and that he believed “it’s time for a change,” he has now returned to affirmative action, this time at Mississippi State University.

Torres maintains that he wanted to go into teaching.

“I was given the opportunity to teach, and I did look for teaching positions, but this [Mississippi State] was just a great opportunity,” Torres said.

Before leaving ISU and after resigning his affirmative action position, Torres was assigned to teach Higher Education 580g, “Current Topics in Community Colleges: Faculty and Staff Evaluation,” in the fall of 1995 and Higher Education 664, “College Organization and Administration,” this spring. The teaching positions resulted from an eight-month transition agreement negotiated between Torres and Jischke on July 27, 1995.

The agreement

According to the agreement, which states that its existence “shall not be construed as an admission of any wrongdoing by any party,” Torres would continue on the ISU payroll from the end of July 1995 until the end of March 1996 as an “assistant adjunct professor” in the department of professional studies. He was to be paid the same $72,100 salary he earned as affirmative action officer, though salary and benefits “shall terminate if Torres obtains . . . substantially full employment before March 1996.”

The agreement also called for ISU to assign Torres “appropriate duties such as teaching, research or service” for the fall of 1995, but if duties were not assigned to Torres from January through the end of March 199″he will not be required to perform services for the university.”

Torres’ salary and benefits for Aug. 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 were covered by a transfer of $59,843 from the infrastructure account in central administration. While serving as an assistant adjunct professor in professional studies, Torres’ salary exceeded that department’s highest paid assistant professor, Barbara Licklider, by $24,396, according to the 1995-1996 ISU budget.

The contract also called for ISU to pay Deems and Associates of Ankeny as much as $4,000 to assist Torres in finding a new job. Deems and Associates “works with people whose jobs are eliminated or [who] exit from a company,” said company president, Richard Deems. The company is not, however, an employment agency, but rather assists people with the “job-getting skills process.”

Under the agreement, Torres agreed to end his relationship with ISU by March 31, 1996. On Feb. 29, 1996, Torres resigned, and Larry Ebbers, a professor in professional studies, continued the instruction of Higher Education 664.

Paul Tanaka, director of university legal services, would not discuss Torres’ reasons for leaving the affirmative action position and later, the university. He said questions of Torres’ leaving should be addressed to Torres.

Tanaka said it is “not unusual for institutions to provide transitions positions” for resigning employees, but he did not cite any previous examples.

“I am not going to get into areas where there might be confidential personnel information,” Tanaka said.

There was no search for Torres’ new position as adjunct assistant professor in professional studies, Tanaka said, and it is doubtful Torres’ position in professional studies will be replaced.

“I don’t know, but I presume not,” Tanaka said.

In the contract, Torres also agreed “not to sue. . . Torres further waives any claim he has or may have to future employment by ISU.”

When asked whether he had been treated fairly by the university, Torres said, “I don’t know what the point is in all of this, so I’d rather not comment.”

Leaving remains a mystery

This lack of information has left several on campus who were associated with Torres in the dark as to the reasons for his departure.

The chair of the search committee that hired Torres was caught unaware by Torres’ resignation from ISU.

“I didn’t know that. I’m caught by surprise,” said Tahira Hira, a professor in human development and family studies. “I would be interested in knowing because I was involved in the committee.”

The professional studies department chair, Daniel Robinson said he did not know why Torres left ISU and had “no idea” where Torres is now.

“I responded as a reference to him for at least a dozen positions,” Robinson said, though he did not know which position Torres accepted.

Even Torres’ former coworkers in the affirmative action office did not shed any light on his dismissal.

Jan Padgitt, an associate affirmative action officer, said, “The last year has been very difficult for those of us who work in affirmative action. Let me just say that rumors and suggestions that the office staff was the problem are untrue.”

“On the advice of legal council, I have no comment,” said Judy Kubera, a secretary in the office.

The program assistant, Vicky Biondi, also would not comment on the situation.

Director search continues

Meanwhile, the search for a new affirmative action director is underway.

Jeanne Johnson, a Des Moines lawyer, has been hired on a part-time basis as the interim affirmative action officer director while a nationwide search is conducted to fill the position. Johnson is being paid $33,600 for her interim position.

The chair of the search committee for the new affirmative action director, Faye Whitaker, said the committee has brought five people to campus for interviews. Whitaker would not release a date by which the position will be filled, nor would she comment on the cost of the search until it is complete.

Jischke traveled to the hometowns of the five applicants for interviews, but Whitaker said such lengths are “not unusual for a high level administrator.”