Summer renters often go greek

Suzanne Fowler

Some ISU students looking for cheap summer housing may have a hard time, but there are some places that can offer students quite a deal.

In the summer, several fraternity houses are opened up to ISU students who wish to stay in Ames over the summer at a cheaper price. A room in a fraternity costs between $116 and $500 for the summer.

“It’s cheaper than an apartment, and I’ll get to meet a lot of people from other fraternities and sororities in the area,” said Jennifer Crise, a student who is living at Adelante Fraternity for the summer.

“Since I don’t have an apartment, I am able to take classes,” Crise said.

Leda Cole, of the Iowa State Off-Campus Living Center, said living in a one-person apartment with partial utilities can run about $230 a month. A four-person apartment runs anywhere from $570 to $1,080 a month for the entire apartment with only partial utilities.

FarmHouse fraternity, 311 Ash Ave., offers rooms for $350 for the entire summer.

FarmHouse has a house with room for 62 people. Currently there are 53 tenants living there this summer, said Matt Wiebers, a sophomore in agricultural systems technology and business manager of FarmHouse.

The housing arrangements allow for four people per room, with sleeping room in the cold airs, he said.

The men and women staying in the house over the summer live on separate floors and have separate bathrooms. All residents living in the house over the summer are expected to help keep the house clean, Wiebers said. House rules and regulations work the same way during the summer as they do during the year, he said.

One of the benefits of living in FarmHouse is the fact that the house has central air conditioning, Wiebers said. Adelante Fraternity, 318 Welch Ave., is another fraternity that is offering summer living.

“We have a suite setup,” said Matt Donovan, the person in charge of summer housing.

The room prices vary with the amount of people in the room. For an individual room, it costs $500. For two people living on one side of the suite it costs $450 and for three people living there it costs $375 for the summer. The cost of living at Adelante is a little more expensive because the house contains central air and the use of kitchen facilities, Donovan said.

Another fraternity living option is Phi Kappa Psi, 316 Lynn Ave. The price of the room can cost anywhere from $300-400 for the summer. The amount depends on the size of the room desired. Larger rooms are more expensive.

“It costs a little more because we have an outdoor heated swimming pool,” said Sean Soyer, a member of Phi Kappa Psi.

Two people live in each room and currently there are seven rooms left.

“Generally it’s mostly women [renting rooms],” Soyer said.

Theta Chi, 219 Ash Ave., is renting out rooms as well. The rooms cost $200 for a single and $150 with a roommate for the summer.

Theta Chi is renting out rooms, “just to keep the house busy,” said Andy Busche. Having women dormers is also ” good for rush functions,” Busche said.

However, all the rooms in Theta Chi are full.

The men of Theta Xi, 315 Welch Ave., are also renting out rooms in their houses for the summer.

“We rent out rooms so the house is occupied,” said Matt Greer, a Theta Xi. The rooms cost $150 per month or $450 for the summer, and there are still seven rooms left, Greer said.