Artistic integrity

To The Editor:

Did you know that for each new building project or major renovation on campus, a certain percentage of the total cost must be spent on artwork?

I’m not talking about the paintings in the hallways or sculptures in the corners, but the abstract artwork associated with the building.

According to Facilities Planning and Management, the amount spent on this artwork is one-half of one percent (0.5%).

This doesn’t really sound like much, but considering the typical cost of building projects, this is a considerable amount of money.

For example, The Jacobson/ Olsen Building Athletic Office and Training Facility has a project total of $11,830,000.

This amounts to $59,150 that must be spent on artwork. The Sweeney Hall addition totaling $7,600,000 must spend $32,000 on artwork.

Carrie Chapman Catt Hall renovation cost $5,075,000 with $25,000 allocated toward artwork.

And the Student Health Center cost is $6,151,000 with $30,755 spent on artwork.

These amounts are astounding considering that this money might instead be allocated for maintenance funds toward the new building, maintenance funds for pre-existing buildings, or reducing the building’s project cost.

Furthermore, assuming tuition costs of $2,400 per year, the artwork for the above-mentioned buildings alone would have allowed 61 students to attend this university free for one year.

Some people may argue that these pieces of artwork are important for cultural awareness.

But let’ s be practical, in a time of budget constraints, this money could be better spent.

Lisa Mayberry

Freshman

Animal Science