Students gain experience of a lifetime at Masters

Ryan Harvey

Think of it: an internship in a picturesque setting where major golf tournaments are held.

That is what Iowa State seniors John Jordan and Brandon Goodyk are enjoying while they complete a six-month internship at Augusta National Golf Course in Augusta, Ga.

The interns, who are members of the turf program in the horticulture department, were able to enjoy the recent Masters golf tournament.

For those of who haven’t heard of Augusta, it is home to a picturesque golf course and is permanent home of the Masters golf course.

“Both kids are very deserving,” horticulture program coordinator Mike Gaul said. “They are probably the top two students in the program.”

Gaul commended the students on their efforts at Augusta.

“They are the first two students to ever intern at Augusta,” Gaul said. “And they have carried the Iowa State banner well.”

In fact, according to Goodyk, the superintendent of the course told him that he was one of the two best interns he has ever had at Augusta.

Gaul said he went to visit the students in Georgia a couple of weeks ago. When they went to eat one night at a local sports bar he said he ran into some famous company.

“Setting at the table next to us was Constantino Rocca,” Gaul said. “He was the player that beat John Daly with a long birdie putt at the British Open last year.”

“And sitting a few tables away was Ernie Els,” Gaul said.

The experience they have gained at the course has come at the expense of very long hours.

Goodyk described a day’s work during the Masters.

“We get to work at about 5:15 a.m., we begin our day by mowing the greens. After that is done the interns then take a period of time to check the fairways to make sure they are ready for play,” Goodyk said.

“After the fairways are ready, we then have some passive time are able to watch some golf,” he said.

“After play has ended we are then able to mow the greens again,” Goodyk said. “This puts us at about 6:30 or 7 p.m.”

Goodyk didn’t seem to mind the long hours.

“Each day was worth it,” he said. “The days just seemed to fly by.”

He said that the interns all put in about 100 hours each during the week of the famous tournament.

Goodyk said that his class work has really helped to prepare him for the internship.

“We have had to use our experience from the classroom on calculating chemicals,” Goodyk said. “We have learned a lot more because everything must be done to perfection.”

Gooydk and Jordan were able to meet quite a few pros throughout the weekend.

“We met Jack Nicklaus, Scott McCarron, David Frost and Justin Leonard,” Goodyk said. “In fact, Nicklaus gave us a couple of tips to tell our supervisor on how to improve the course.”

Goodyk said that Nicklaus politely asked them to improve the course by the removal of a couple of branches and some sand in one area of the course.

Goodyk and Jordan were both able to gain a free golf ball over the week of the tournament.

Goodyk was watching Justin Leonard when he hit a ball into the water. After Goodyk fished the ball out Leonard told him to keep it.

Goodyk and Jordan have both been longtime fans of the professional tour, and Jordan was able to meet his long-time idol, Nick Faldo.

Jordan was actually able to shake his hand after the final round was over; Faldo won the tournament over Greg Norman.

“When he was walking off of the 18th green, I was able to shake his hand,” Jordan said.

But a handshake wasn’t all Jordan gained from Faldo.

Jordan managed to claim Faldo’s winning golf ball from the tournament.

“I met Faldo’s caddy Fanny before the final round,” Jordan said by telephone from Augusta. “We made a little deal, she would give me the golf ball and I would give her the flag from the 17th green.”

So Jordan will now have a trophy to remember his experiences.

Jordan was also able to spend some time with Scott McCarron, who won his first tournament at New Orleans earlier this year and was very cordial to the intern.

“I met McCarron the week before the Masters was to start when he was practicing his putting,” Jordan said. “I then introduced myself to him.”

Jordan said that he then walked four holes of the course with the pro.

“Everyday he would say hello to me whenever he saw me,” Jordan said.

But McCarron was more of an example than an exception.

“All of the players were warm to us,” Jordan said. “They know the effort we put in and they give us nothing but compliments, congratulations and thanks.”

Goodyk agreed with Jordan’s assessment.

“They were always interested in what we have to say,” Goodyk said. “They asked us about ourselves, wondering where we are from, how we had gotten here and the experiences we have gained here.”

Goodyk said he will always look back at the tournament in awe.

According to Gaul, Jordan is probably the top turf student at Iowa State.

Recently Jordan was the first student ever to be named to the Golf Course Superintendent’s Association of America Education Committee.

“That is quite an honor,” Gaul said. “That should open a lot of doors for him after he finishes school.”

Gaul said that there are about 90 students in the turf program, probably the largest in the country.

When asked if they were interested in returning to Augusta after school, Goodyk said he would like to come back.

“If there is a position open, I would like to come back and work my way up the ladder,” he said.

Jordan said he would be open to the idea, but would have to weigh all of his options carefully.

“I am going to look at what is best for me and everyone else in my life,” he said.

Gaul said the interns will be back at Iowa State in late May because the course closes for he summer and reopens in the fall.

Gaul added that Goodyk and Jordan would also take classes over the summer.