Experts offer remedies for stressful week

Emily Mcniel

Finals are racing toward students with alarming speed this week.

You can’t find your textbook, because it’s been so long since you read anything in it, and let’s not even mention the last time you went to class. And you may even ask yourself, “Was I even taking that class this semester?”

Whatever the situation, there is help for all students who are stressing over finals.

Finals Week stress is getting to nearly everyone these days, but try not to get too upset, says Carol Luedders, outreach and consultation coordinator for Student Counseling Services.

“Stress is a normal experience during Finals Week, but it can become very distressful for people, and if that happens, it’s important for them to seek help,” Luedders said.

Knowing when your stress levels are becoming unmanageable is the key, she said, and there are three categories to look at.

The first is physical symptoms. They include being overly tired, having difficulties sleeping and changes in your eating habits.

The second symptom involves a person’s emotions. Symptoms include nervousness, anxiousness and crying more than usual.

“We try to normalize these emotions and help people understand that a certain level is normal, but if it’s starting to [make you] feel like you can’t calm down, [and you have] a lot of nervousness, that’s probably saying you’re on overload,” Luedders said.

The third includes having trouble thinking and being easily distracted.

Also important, Luedders said, are the social aspects of a student’s life. She said it is important to maintain social support, and avoid isolation.

If you’re starting to feel stress levels escalate, Luedders recommends pausing, taking a deep breath, getting plenty of rest, exercising and planning breaks in studying.

If nothing seems to be working, Luedders said it would be a good idea to visit a counselor at Student Counseling Services during walk-in hours, or go to the Relaxation and Stress Management Group that meets every Tuesday at 4:10 p.m.

Kathleen MacKay, dean of students, has her own words of wisdom: “The things that always go first are eating and sleeping,” MacKay said. “Try to keep up on those, and try to stay calm and prioritize your time.”

Another option is to visit the Academic Learning Lab, said Mary Ann Rasnak, director of learning enhancement services.

“Students can come in, and we [will] try to tailor our suggestions to the individual student. We can help with stress management, time management and test-taking skills.”

If you’re worried about time, don’t be, Rasnak said. Surprisingly, the academic learning lab is pretty quiet during Finals Week. However, if there’s little time to do anything but study there are a variety of pamphlets available in the lab with stress and test-taking tips.