Footfalls ends the semester

Julie Kline

The Iowa State Dance Department is finishing off the fall semester this weekend with an annual concert recognizing a former professor and pioneer of dance at ISU.

On Sunday evening at 7 p.m., the ISU dance department will be giving its annual performance of Footfalls in Room 196 of the Physical Education Building. The program, which will include several local dance groups, will kick off a celebration honoring retired Distinguished Professor Emeritus Betty Toman, in whose honor the dance studios in the building will be named.

The evening will include performances by several longstanding ISU groups including the Jazz Dance “Sahara” and the “Yellow Dance” performed by Orchesis II. These dances will feature ISU students, some of whom are performing for the first time.

“We are here to provide students with the opportunity to perform,” said Janice Baker, dance professor and Orchesis II director. “Hopefully this is a safe place to dance.”

The event will also feature performances from two groups not as directly connected with the university. The ISU Dance tour company will perform a modern dance called “For Those Who Have No Voice,” which will feature a poem written by ISU’s long-time accompanist Evelyn Jensen. There will also be a performance of “Let’s Tap” performed by the Octagon Tappers under Toman’s direction.

The rest of the evening will feature some of the classic techniques Toman taught to students which also chronicle her 40-year career at ISU. Baker said she is pleased about the decision to honor “the grand lady of dance at Iowa State.”

“Betty delights in teaching and spreading the joy of dance,” Baker said. “I think it speaks well of the university to such a wonderful teacher for her years of service.”

Footfalls is free to the public, so head on over to the PE Building for one last dance before the holidays. Showtime is 7 p.m., and there’s a reception afterwards.