Madden OKs delayed athletic department funding from GSB

Jenny Hykes

Iowa State officials have approved a plan to phase in an increase in student fees to support the athletic department.

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, told the ISU Athletic Council Tuesday that the increase will now probably occur over two years.

An additional $5 student-fee increase was supposed to take place next fall, but because of a lower-than-expected tuition rise for the 1996-97 school year, the Government of the Student Body passed a resolution in November that would divide the increase into two increments.

Students agreed earlier this year to increase their funding from $9.75 per student per semester to $14.75 this fall and $19.75 next year. The $14.75 level is now in place. But under the new plan, the rise to $19.75 will occur over the next two years.

The fee increase must be approved by the Special Student Fee Committee next semester, Madden said.

Because of the low tuition raise and an increase in athletic revenues this year, “students have some concern about how rapidly they need to implement it [an increase],” Madden said.

But the athletic department is still in need of increased funding, Madden said.

Madden said he intends to recommend that the fee committee divide the $5 fee increase in half over the next two years, increasing the fees $2.50 each year.

“I think that is doable,” he said. “And we can still meet other priority concerns,” such as Cy-Ride support and increased support for student recreation.

Madden also said this proposal increase will be sufficient for the athletic department.

“It will permit them to make progress and it won’t permit significant budget problems for them.” He said with these increases, the athletic department will be able to make progress “both financially and in terms of competitiveness.”

GSB Finance Director Steve Elliot said the agreement to phase in athletic funding is a positive step. “It gives us flexibility. We have additional pressures of Cy-Ride. That’s what makes us leery. But we’re going to honor the agreement.”

Cy-Ride is in need of increased student support because of looming federal budget cuts.

Also at Tuesday’s meeting, the council spent more than an hour in closed session discussing school policy for suspending or dismissing students from athletic teams. The meeting came after apparent inconsistencies in disciplinary procedures for two athletes, both charged with sexual abuse.

Kenny Pratt was dismissed from the men’s basketball team after being charged but was later reinstated when the charges were not pursued by the county attorney.

Alfonso Cruz remains suspended from the wrestling team. His trial date has not been set.

Tuesday’s discussion was closed to the public because of potential lawsuits, said Paul Tanaka, ISU’s lawyer.

Disciplinary policies will be discussed in public session in February, said Jerry Hall, chairman of the athletic council.