Anderson will get fellowship

Julie Kline

A longtime Iowa State professor and Iowa resident will be recognized for his academic and research achievements.

Lloyd Anderson, the university’s Charles T. Curtiss distinguished professor of agriculture in animal science, will be awarded with a fellowship by the American Association for the Advancement of Science early next year.

The fellowship, which will be given to 273 people nationwide, is a lifetime honor awarded to professors who excel in both research and academics.

Anderson was awarded the fellowship for his work in the psychology of reproduction which attempts to determine the way uterine and ovarian functioning affect the central nervous system and the pituitary gland.

Anderson said the goal of the work is to increase the proficiency and regulate the growth of farm animals like pigs, sheep and cattle. He said the project has already shown how the central growth and other hormones in pigs are related.

“We are working with a hormone made by both humans and animals to see how it affects the brain and pituitary functions,” Anderson said.

In addition to the fellowship, Anderson has received national recognition through his published articles in Science Magazine and other projects.

Anderson transferred to ISU when he was an undergraduate student after spending a year at Simpson College.

He received a bachelor’s degree in animal science in 1957 and began working as a graduate assistant the next year.

Since that time, Anderson said he has been working at ISU in one teaching capacity or another except for the seven months he spent working in France with the Lawler Foundation.