Storms clothing drive ends on Friday

Anne Rosso

A student-organized clothing drive is taking place in Storms Hall this week, but the drive may not reach its goal, organizers say.

The collection, started by freshman Rana Alexander of Storms Hall, is scheduled to end on Friday but looks to fall short of its goal of 1,000 articles of clothing.

“I don’t know if we’re going to meet our goal,” Alexander said. “I am having doubts that we’ll be able to reach the ideal number.”

At present, the drive has collected more than 200 pieces of clothing since it began Nov. 26.

Alexander intended to collect two pieces of clothing for every student in the residence hall. So far she has taken in a variety of donations including coats, dresses, shoes, shirts and even jewelry. Proceeds from the drive will be donated to the Salvation Army in Des Moines.

Though Alexander had first thought of donating clothes to the Salvation Army in Ames, she said she was told to give the store in Des Moines a call instead.

“Des Moines has a bigger population,” she said, “And I think there are more needy people there.”

The drive has attracted donations from a variety of people. Students, staff, friends and family have donated old clothing for the drive.

“We will take anything,” Alexander said. “Almost any kind of clothing is acceptable.”

Karla Thoennes, Storms Hall director, said Alexander has been the driving force behind the drive.

“Rana has been very persistent,” Thoennes said. “She’s visited all the floors asking for support and collecting the boxes. And for the most part, people have been responding well. I just am not sure we’ll be able to collect 1,000 pieces in time. For all the energy Rana has put into this project, I hope we do.”

Alexander said she wanted to do a clothing drive in high school but was never given the chance.

“I have enough stuff in my closet to clothe a small nation,” she said. “I thought this drive would be a good opportunity for students and staff to give to the community.”

Clothing collected for the Salvation Army will benefit mostly low-income people. Families and individuals in need receive vouchers from the Salvation Army Social Service Center. They are able to exchange their vouchers for clothing at the Salvation Army, said Jim Woods, an employee of the Salvation Army on East 2nd Street in Des Moines.

The remaining items of clothing “are sold at low prices. The money received from those sales is used to support a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in Des Moines,” Woods said. A “donation meter” is posted in the Storms lobby and will gauge the amount of clothing collected until Friday. The clothing drop-off sites are located in all Storms resident assistants’ room, as well as Alexander’s room.