Keg Shop location has ups and downs

Matthew T. Seifert

Business is on tap at the Keg Shop’s new location on Welch Avenue, but not without a few complications.

The Keg Shop moved to Welch from the Colorado Junction Shopping Center on Lincoln Way last semester. With a new and comprehensive liquor selection, more room and a large walk-in cooler, it has been a hit with Iowa State students.

“We’ve added a bigger selection of imports, wine and everything else. There’s more room and a nicer atmosphere,” said Chuck Connors, Keg Shop manager.

But at least one Ames resident isn’t awed by expanded alcohol offerings.

Dan Busch, who lives directly behind the Keg Shop at 217 Stanton Ave., said Keg Shop customers continually drag kegs through his backyard.

“It’s not just a judgment on liquor or alcohol,” Busch said. “A lot of wild things happen. There is a lot of vandalism in this neighborhood.”

Busch said he can’t let his son leave anything in the backyard because it would be stolen.

“A good fence would solve any of these problems,” he added..

But Connors said the foot traffic has not been a problem for neighbors, and he’s had no problems with the authorities since the move.

“The police have not had any problem with us at all,” he said. “There have been a few more open container violations on Welch, but the police have not said anything to us.”

Shawn Phipps of the Ames Police Department concurred, saying police have not received any complaints about the Keg Shop’s new home.

Students in the area said they generally like having a liquor store closer to home. Scott Drage, 127 1/2 Welch Ave., said he rarely went to the Keg Shop before it moved just down the road. Now he’s a regular.

“It’s much better,” Drage said. “Before that, Quick Trip had a monopoly on liquor in the area.”

Another student, Chris Leader, 131 Stanton Ave., said the Keg Shop’s location is convenient.

Connors said the Keg Shop’s clientele has diversified since the move.

“A lot of girls and more ethnic groups come in now,” he said. Previously, the Keg Shop’s customers were mostly white males.