Enough, already!

Jesse Peterson

To the Editor:

As Civil Engineering students, we have the highest respect for the working world. Every semester we face the same question: why is the university not supplying classes that will both prepare us for and get us into the working world?

Every semester we take our turn registering for the classes we need for our degree requirements, to gain access to future classes and to gain experience for the job world and future employers (after all, the job world and preparation for it is why we are here). Why then, are we continually told the class is not available, or the powers that be will later add a section which is not usable because of a conflict with the precious classes we have already registered for. For some of us, the process of registration has been a nightmare since our freshman year. We would like to ask why the university, after a number of semesters, has not been able to supply classes we need at the appropriate time, namely at registration.

Why are the classes filling up so fast? There are a few reasons which are evident to all. The first and most obvious reason is the lack of classes and the small class sizes. We understand the small class sizes are very beneficial to us by creating a conducive learning environment. An often-seen side effect of reduced class sizes is the great demand placed on the professors. And as we all know, the professors have research and consulting responsibilities as well as teaching. Even with these reasons, we still cannot understand why the department has not increased the number of classes offered when it has known about the increase in the number of students. Also, with the high influx of students into the Civil Engineering curriculum, where are the funds associated with those students going?

Another reason could be registration granted by the amount of credits attained. This is a reasonably valid system, but it allows the higher credit students to compete with the lower credit students, who would graduate in four to four and a half years, for the needed classes. A good example might be transfer students, but even they are running into problems registering. When the class is not available, transfer students must then extend their already prolonged college career. Granted, it was their choice to change majors, but this is still no reason to disallow them classes. The facts are, all students by right should be granted the needed classes no matter what their credit standing is, this is what we are paying for and it is why we are here! Currently, this is not a reality; therefore, making graduation in four years all but impossible (comment on the four year contract).

We would like to apologize in advance for the toes this letter steps on, but enough is enough! We would also like to take the opportunity and say thank you to those people in the department who are trying to correct the problem. And we wish to extend a BIG thank you to Fern Parrish who has helped all of us at one point or another in getting those classes which seem out of reach. You deserve a raise! And we deserve a chance to graduate in the emphasis of our choosing and in a reasonable amount of time!

Jesse Peterson

Senior

Civil Engineering

Editor’s Note: This letter to the editor was signed by 34 juniors and seniors in Civil Engineering.