Quirmbach, Hoffman win seats

Jenny Hykes

An Iowa State economics professor and a long-time incumbent will serve on the Ames City Council next term.

Herman Quirmbach, professor of economics, won the 4th Ward position in Tuesday’s elections. Judie Hoffman, who has served on the council since 1987, was elected to the at-large seat.

As of press time, Quirmbach had received 581 votes. Annette Jensen had 331 votes and Margaret Okere received 35 votes for the 4th Ward seat. There were 17 write-in votes.

Judie Hoffman had received 2,524 votes and Sam Pritchard had received 1,214 votes for the at-large seat. There were 28 write-in votes.

Results from the race for two Mary Greeley Medical Center Board of Trustees positions were not available at press time. Patricia Brown, Judith Clem, Dale Messenger and Mark Power were vying for the spots. Brown and Clem were the early leaders.

Quirmbach said he thought a runoff between himself and Jensen was the “single most likely outcome,” until last weekend, when he did a lot of reminder calling for support. He said he became more confident as the election neared.

“I was hoping,” Quirmbach said, “but I wasn’t counting on it.”

Quirmbach said: “I know what won it for me: organization, organization, organization. I had a couple dozen terrific volunteers. Basic grassroots organization is the way you win.”

Some of his volunteers were ISU students, Quirmbach said. “They were a real important asset in this campaign.”

The 4th Ward includes a “great big chunk of campus,” Quirmbach said. He encouraged students should contact him with their concerns.

Quirmbach said the impending decisions about the city budget are an important issue.

“I’m going to start looking at that in earnest at the beginning,” he said. “One has to study all of the minute details.”

He also plans to talk with a consultant about the city’s Land Use Policy Plan.

Hoffman said she was happy to be re-elected.

“It’s always reassuring when you’re an incumbent to find out the people are really happy with what you are doing,” she said. “It was an interesting campaign, and I’m delighted to have it over with.”

Hoffman said the campaign was exciting because, “A lot of issues were raised by my opponent. I think we had a thorough discussion of many issues that hadn’t come up before.”

Hoffman said she plans to continue to work hard on the Land Use Policy and zoning ordinances, big issues throughout the campaign.