Students switch roles with deans for fund-raiser

Billie Dodd

A Senior Class Council fund-raiser has netted about $300 for the American Cancer Society.

The SCC’s “Dean for a Day” project gives students an opportunity to switch roles with the dean of their college for one day.

The project’s co-chairs, Dayon Bowman and Vince Ward, said the fund-raiser is an opportunity for students and deans to interact.

“A lot of times students don’t even know what their dean looks like. This is a great way for everyone to get together,” Bowman said.

Students bought raffle tickets at various places around campus such as placement offices, the Memorial Union and from SCC members. Over 300 of the raffle tickets were sold for $1 each.

Each of the colleges participated.

Deans are asked to go to the student’s classes, take notes and participate as much as possible. They do it all, except examinations.

Students get the opportunity to go to the dean’s meetings, such as Faculty Senate and other activities in the daily life of a college dean.

For an added perk, the student winners were honored at a group breakfast Tuesday morning. Jill Crouse, a representative from the American Cancer Society, attended the breakfast to thank organizers and give them an update.

Next semester, a similar activity will be held.

“Hopefully faculty such as Martin Jischke, Dan McCarney and Tim Floyd can get involved,” Bowman said. “This would also get a lot of participation.”

Winners, who switched roles Tuesday, included: Mary Russell, who took the place of Dean Beverly Crabtree in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences; Kim Gilbert, who took the place of Associate Dean Dave Williams in the College of Education; Tom Storey, who took the place of Associate Dean Eric Hoiberg in the College of Agriculture; Mary Oldham, who took the place of Dean James Melsa in the College of Engineering; Craig Adamson, who took the place of Dean Mark Engelbrecht in the College of Design; Amy Wilkening, who took the place of Dean Ben Allan in the College of Business; Laura Held, who took the place of a team of Liberal Arts & Science deans, including Dean Elizabeth Hoffmann and associate deans J.D. Beatty, Richard Hoffmann and Zora Zimmerman.