Campus Book Store asks Regents for equal treatment

Bill Kopatich

It may be possible for students to charge future Campus Book Store purchases to their university bills, but not if the Iowa State administration has its way.

Campus Book Store officials have petitioned the state Board of Regents for the same privileges that the university-owned University Bookstore is granted. The Regents will take up the issue at their monthly meeting beginning at 9 a.m. today in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union

According to documents filed with the Regents, ISU is against extending the university-charge privileges to Campus Book Store because officials do not “believe it is appropriate for it to engage in providing credit or collection services for off-campus enterprises.”

The university did give Campus Book Store address information for ISU students in September, with the belief that the store would be able to establish its own billing and credit system.

Regents will also receive a progress report on the organizational audit being conducted by the Pappas Consulting Firm. The consulting firm will visit Regents institutions by the end of the month.

The board will receive information on graduation and retention rates for the three Regent universities. The data involves freshman classes from 1986 through 1994.

The report is not expected to be good news for ISU, said John Anderson, interim director of university relations.

Graduation rates for all students and retention rates for minority students at ISU are expected to be lower than Iowa and Northern Iowa’s.