Professor vows to save his chorus class

Arlene Lacayo

An Iowa State music instructor is making sure his class isn’t killed by the budget ax.

Because of budget constraints, University Chorus, an 80-person choir, will not be available for college credit next semester. But thanks to the choir’s director, Robert Molison, members will still meet regularly and perform next semester as a club organization.

“This choir will not die while I’m around,” Molison said.

Molison said he and assistant Sylvia Munson will continue to teach the chorus next semester, though they will not be paid.

Sue Haug, music department chairwoman, said the chorus will be on the curriculum books next fall and hopefully will be funded in the future.

Haug said the decision was made in order to accommodate a jazz choir.

“Today’s students are demanding a jazz choir,” Haug said. “Every quality [music] department has a jazz choir.”

Cardinal Keynotes, a past ISU jazz choir, was discontinued in 1991 when the department lost a full-time vocal position.

Since then, University Chorus has been offered by part-time faculty and temporary funding. It has been reassessed annually.

“It would be nice if we didn’t have to make a choice,” Haug said.

Molison said there have been misunderstandings about next semester’s changes.

“It’s not a question of one group losing funding to another,” Molison said. “We found a person in the state who could restart a jazz choir. But we couldn’t start a jazz choir and continue funding University Chorus.” Molison said this semester’s University Chorus is the strongest he has seen in the last eight years, both in terms of numbers and talent.

“They are very motivated,” Molison said. “I expect to have a very viable choir in the spring.”

Jason Slater, president of University Chorus, said he is looking forward to good next semester as well.

“Even though we’re not going to be an official class, we’re going to show that we can still have fun with it,” Slater said.