Senior class is looking for gift ideas

Jennifer Young

The Senior Class Council is asking students for ideas for the 1996 Senior Class Gift.

Ryan Carey, a senior class challenge officer, said he expects to receive 25-30 ideas.

“The idea must be something beneficial to all students on campus,” Carey said. “This year we’re changing the format to a gift that will be done in one year. In the past, seniors have pledged a gift for three or four years.”

This year, students will be asked to pay over a three- or four-month period or in a one lump sum after graduation.

Students are asked to consider the feasibility, student interest, university support and the importance of the project when thinking about an idea.

“We’re hoping to raise somewhere between $80,000 to $100,000,” Carey said.

In late November, SCC will narrow all of the ideas submitted to five choices. In December, the senior class will vote for on the 1996 class gift. In March and April, SCC will begin soliciting pledges for the gift.

Past senior class gifts have included the All-American Grove Walk of Honor, the Reiman Garden Reflecting Pool and Fountain and the Lake LaVerne aeration system.

“Any ideas are welcome, but seniors will be the only ones with the final vote,” Carey said.

Those with ideas are asked to stop by the Student Alumni Association in Room 158 of the Memorial Union. The deadline is Friday, Oct. 20.