Taylor addresses ISU students

Elaine Ackert

Republican presidential candidate Morry Taylor said the best way he can help the younger generation of high school and college students is by keeping this country “from slipping into a depression.”

Taylor, president and chief executive officer of Titan Wheel International, visited the Iowa State campus Friday afternoon. He said, “This country is headed for a financial meltdown. We are bankrupt.”

Taylor believes the first step in balancing the deficit is to eliminate upper and middle level managers in the federal work force.

“You have to go in and cut from the top. The budget is not going to be balanced by cutting the guy who delivers the mail,” Taylor said. “You eliminate the top layers.”

Taylor said the same procedure should be used in the education system to lower tuition, and thus, lessen student loans.

“The only thing that college does is provide a service to keep a lot of professors and administrators in their jobs,” he said. “The amount you spend on college is a joke. How many full professors have you had teach your classes? Not very many, right?” Taylor asked.

“Every professor should teach 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, and then kick out about 50 percent of the administrators. Then watch how fast tuition goes down,” he added.

Taylor compares his approach to run the nation to Ross Perot’s ideas in 1992. Taylor said he hopes to bring Perot’s supporters inside the Republican party.

“I told Ross, ‘Quit this silliness and join the Republican party.’ We’ve got a great two-party system. There’s nothing wrong with our form of government; it’s just the nuts that we got up there,” Taylor said.

Taylor said he reluctantly decided to run for president.

“I said, ‘What, do you think I am, stupid? It costs millions of dollars. I’ve never volunteered for a thing in my life,” he said. “Then I thought about it and it was like watching a mugging. You look around and no one is coming forward who knows how to take care of it.”

Taylor says social issues are less important now because, “This social stuff is not going to win out if there’s a depression.”

However, Taylor calls his stand on abortion a “modified pro-choice.”

“I believe that abortion is a religious issue. The government shouldn’t have anything to do with it. It is between a woman, a doctor and her religion,” he said.

Taylor admits his chance of being elected is a long shot. But, “if Bill Clinton can be elected President, so can I,” he said.