Underage patrons welcome at local bars tonight only

Kris Fettkether

Before the football team “captures the excitement” on the field Saturday against Colorado, many will be reaching for their own glass of excitement on Wednesday night when four Campustown bars open their doors to minors.

“Night on the Town,” sponsored by Homecoming Central and the Alumni Association, lets those students 18 and older get into the spirit by going to local drinking establishments that are usually off-limits if one is under 21. Participating in “Night on the Town” will be People’s Bar and Grill, Lumpy’s, Tazzle’s and The Dean’s List.

Beginning at 7 p.m., those that make the age cut can begin painting the town red (and gold). Cover charge at each bar is $5, unless the patron is sporting an official Homecoming button. Then it’s just $4 to get in. People’s, Lumpy’s and The Dean’s List will host live musicians while Tazzle’s will be spinning the tunes on Campustown’s best dance floor. Pizza from Domino’s will also be served.

“We wanted to have an activity that included everyone. We tried to provide entertainment that all could enjoy,” said Kyle DeVries, co-director of marketing for Homecoming Central. “The theme of ‘Capture the Excitement’ was chosen for all the new changes going on here at ISU, such as the new coaches, logo and the renovations to Lake Laverne. These activities that we’ve put together are new and exciting, too.”

And the under-21 crowd agrees. “It’s great that they involved all the students. It gives them a chance to get ready for the big game,” said Jahi Arnold, a 20-year-old running back and return specialist for the Cyclone football team. “Hopefully the students can carry over that excitement to Saturday.”

Receiver Jerome Henry, 20, added, “It’s nice to think that you can capture the spirit in one night, but on the other hand it would be nice to be included on a Friday or Saturday night too.”

Kicking off the live entertainment at The Dean’s List is Ames’ own Lunchbox. “We’re pretty excited anytime we get to play in front of a live audience,” said Tony Bohnenkamp, lead singer.

Ready to hit the studio in early November, members Byron Stevens on bass, Chad Gustafson on guitar and drummer Chad Johnson, along with Bohnenkamp, have been branching out in the central Iowa music scene.

“We played at the Love Shack in Des Moines not too long ago and the owner really liked us. It’s really important to make the right connections and we’re doing our best,” Bohnenkamp said. “It’s really nice homecoming is doing this underage thing. It gives minors a chance to see us perform in a bar setting with the proper lighting and sound.

“Music’s always been a big part of all our lives. We’re all either students or have been students at various times, and we know how much seeing a band perform is a part of college.”

Taking the People’s stage at 9:30 p.m. will be The Mighty Plastisols, an Ames favorite as well. “If I had to give our music a style, I’d have to say it goes under alternative rock. But we play everything from classic rock like Zeppelin, we do some tunes from the 80’s, and make our way to the present,” said Donovan Miller, guitarist/lead singer .

TMP’s current disc, Wheelbarrel, has 11 original songs which they intermingle with covers in their live performances. Busily writing new material, bassist T.J. Clemons, drummer Joe Clemons and Miller hope to start rehearsing for their upcoming CD late this year in preparation for a spring release.

Playing to an anxious homecoming crowd pleases Miller, a one-time Cyclone. “It’s a wonderful opportunity for the kids to see a band,” he said. “I remember feeling like there was nothing to do when I was a freshman.”

But Miller wasn’t so open when when it came to explaining just what a Mighty Plastisol is. “Well, we’ve managed to keep that somewhat confidential,” he joked.

“We keep it a running joke, making up new definitions for ‘plastisol’ all the time. I will say this: it has to do with things we do during the day, our jobs.”

Jobs aside, homework put off, “Night on the Town” is the perfect hump-night remedy for Cyclone fans ready to “Capture the Excitement.” Minors beware, though: legal patrons will be issued a wristband and all will be ID’d.

Not to mention, the men and women of the Ames Police Force have been known to make an appearance or two (or three) at these saloons.

Night on the Town runs from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. Homecoming buttons can be purchased at the Alumni Association Office for $1. Cover is $4 with the buttons, $5 without. Lunchbox will be taking the stage at The Dean’s List at 7 p.m. The Mighty Plastisols hit the People’s stage at 9:30 p.m. with Paul Wright playing downstairs at Lumpy’s.