Cyclones get second win

Matt Downing

One week after coming home for their first win of the season, the Cyclone women’s soccer team remained in Ames and in the win column when they trounced the University of Northern Iowa Panthers, 6-0, on Saturday.

Freshman forward Jocelyn Nordstrom gave the Cyclones (2-4) a 1-0 lead from which they never looked back, just 54 seconds into the game.

Head Coach Cathy Klein was again pleased by the way her team performed.

“We saw this as an opportunity to turn some heads in the soccer community and we showed that we can play,” Klein said.

The win also contributed to the Cyclone’s ever-increasing confidence.

“At this stage our confidence is still growing. We’d been beaten pretty convincingly by Kansas and Eastern Illinois the two previous weeks and they were starting to doubt themselves and all of their hard work,” Klein said.

“The coaching staff kept saying, ‘You’re that good. We believe in you. So just wait and the opportunity will present itself.’ The win was beneficial because it allows us to build our confidence and grow as a program,” she said.

All 18 players getting into the game was also a positive.

“It was an opportunity for everybody to play and build their confidence,” Klein said.

Besides Nordstrom, junior forward Louise Fries, freshman forward Amy Marshall, sophomore defender Megan O’Leary and sophomore forwards Dawn Weber and Christina Whitehead, all netted goals for the Cyclones.

Weber, who registered both of ISU’s goals last week, assisted on the Nordstrom tally and finished off the Cyclone onslaught when she dribbled past the Panther defense and scored with 34:48 left in the second half.

“Everybody contributed today,” Klein said. “People that I wouldn’t have said were going to contribute, in the majority of our goal scoring opportunities, scored brilliantly today and we’re excited about that.”

Fries, O’Leary and Whitehead also pitched in one assist apiece.

The Cyclones controlled the ball for the majority of the contest again, just as they did during their win last week.

“It’s just like the football concept. They can’t score if they don’t have the ball,” Klein said.

“It’s important that we possess the ball and do positive things with it. The collegiate game is advancing at such a level that you need to be able to do many things with and without the ball.”

The nationally ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers will provide ISU with their next challenge on Oct. 6 in Lincoln. Klein said this will be a “completely different experience” for her team.