Regents approve 3.5 percent tuition hike for state schools

Bill Kopatich

The state Board of Regents approved a 3.5 percent tuition increase for Iowa State students during the 1996-97 school year during its monthly meeting in Cedar Falls Wednesday.

The increase, which comes out to be $92 for the average ISU student, represents the lowest tuition increase since the board started setting rates on an annual basis for the 1981-82 school year.

The board also raised student health fees for all students and computer fees for everyone except those enrolled in engineering, computer science and management information systems programs. Health fees will be raised from $84 to $88 per academic year, and computer fees will be raised from $88 to $92.

ISU also submitted a revised athletic budget. The university put in a request for an additional $1.2 million in the athletic budget.

The $1.2 million is needed to help install a grass field to replace the artificial turf that is currently on Jack Trice Field. ISU hopes to install a natural grass surface before the 1996 football season.

In other business, the board granted approval for Baldwin White Architects of Des Moines to provide schematic design services in the construction of the new child care facility. Baldwin White was selected out of 10 applicants.

According to the Board of Regents office, Baldwin White “demonstrated extensive experience and ability to complete the project.” ISU estimates that schematic design services will cost $27,400.

The board received a fall enrollment report for 1995. The report showed that ISU had an enrollment of 24,431. This is a 1.2 percent decrease from the fall of 1994. Non-resident minority and graduate students accounted for most of the decrease, with non-residents accounting for two-thirds of the cut. Minority enrollment at ISU decreased by 5.08 percent over last year.