Faculty, staff and students to participate in new program

Jennifer Young

Succeeding With Students is a new program being held for all faculty, staff, and students at Iowa State.

The program will take place on Nov. 13, 14, 20, 21 and 30.

Steve Richardson, director at the Center for Teaching Excellence, said the program will focus on what students can do to help the university.

Over the five days, faculty, staff, and students will sit around a table for three and a half hours and discuss different things about the university. Each day there will be four different sessions.

“The group will include a mix of faculty and staff. One person will be a student. We need to have the student voice to keep everyone honest,” Richardson said.

He said the discussion groups will talk about three primary topics including the university and who owns it, how human and material resources can be used and what a student encounters when they arrive at ISU.

“The discussion is open to those who want to participate,” Richardson said, “We need students to make this an honest discussion.”

The program will help students to succeed at ISU.

“Succeeding With Students” is a program for all faculty and staff. Anybody that works for ISU is part of the program,” Richardson said. “At the end of the exercise people will be asked to focus on what they can do personally that would make a difference.

“We hope we will get a lot of good ideas. People will be interested that we can turn ideas into something that works,” he said.

Vicky Thorland-Oster, coordinator of the project and a training specialist, said plans are being made to accommodate all 6,000 faculty members to take part in the program.

The overall environment, she said, in which the university focuses and where the money for the university goes, will also be discussed.

Students who would like to take part in the discussions should call Thorland-Oster at 294-9443.