New business dedicated at Iowa State

Amanda Svec

A new laboratory that will assist businesses developing better products and manufacturing processes was dedicated on campus last week.

The Bevis Process Stimulation Laboratory, named after retiring chief executive officer of the Pella Corporation, J. Wayne Bevis, is “a new, powerful tool to help us incorporate further ideas of continuous improvement which is essential to the success of manufacturing today,” said ISU President Martin Jischke. The ceremony was held in the Industrial Education II Building.

“The lab is a unique resource that will benefit many,” said John Dugger, professor and chair of the Department of Industrial Technology. “We are especially proud that it is named in honor of one of Iowa’s most respected manufacturing leaders.”

Bevis, who was present for the dedication, said, “As I look forward to retiring from the Pella Corporation at the end of this year, it’s rewarding to know that some of the work we have undertaken in the last decade will help other companies and will be beneficial to students.”

The lab will also help students gain experience with real world problems in industrial technology, Dugger said. It will provide a resource where manufacturers will collaborate with ISU faculty experts and ISU students to improve manufacturing processes.

The techniques that will be used at the Bevis Lab are centered on the Pella Corporation’s Kaizen approach to manufacturing.

“Kaizen is a Japanese continuous improvement model, focusing both on a product’s design and manufacturing processes,” Dugger said.

“The lab is a unique resource to the university,” added Sarah Buck, director of development for the College of Education. “It will help students be more prepared for work in manufacturing.”

Jason Thorn, senior in industrial technology, thanked officials for “increasing the quality of our experiences,” through the Bevis Lab.

“The program is always changing to stay current with technology and new ideas,” he said.

The lab was established with principle gifts from the Pella Rolscreen Foundation and the Peter H. and E. Lucille Gaass Kuyper Foundation. More than $176,000 has also been contributed to the project by 14 private companies.