Ticket lottery doesn’t sell out

Bill Kopatich

The Iowa State Athletic Ticket Office is giving students another chance to take part in the ISU men’s basketball student season ticket lottery.

The deadline to turn in applications for the student season ticket lottery was extended for another five days. Applicants have until 5:30 p.m. today to turn in their applications for tickets at the Olsen Building Ticket Office. Applications can no longer be processed in the lobby outside of the University Bookstore.

Season tickets cost $60 apiece and include 12 games. Students are able to apply for a maximum of eight tickets on one fee card.

The reason the ISU ticket office decided to extend the deadline was because they did not have a sellout. Only 2,600 applications were turned in for 3,800 student tickets.

“It caught me by surprise,” said Pam Fultz, ISU athletic ticket director. “I really don’t know why we did not have a sellout.”

Fultz said there has been a lottery for the ISU basketball student season tickets for “for at least the past 10 years.” The last time there was an extension for the basketball lottery was before the 1993-94 season.

“I think the reason we had to extend the deadline is because most students are not familiar with members of the basketball team yet,” said Jeff Shoultz, ISU program assistant of marketing and promotions. “Most students seem to be taking a wait-and-see attitude about turning in ticket applications.”

The Cyclones have only two returning scholarship players this season after graduating six seniors from last year’s squad. That team had the most wins ever in Cyclone basketball history.

Their only returning starter is junior Jacy Holloway. He is also leading returning scorer with 61 points all of last season.

Head Coach Tim Floyd will rely this year on a plethora of junior college transfers to fill in the shoes of the lost seniors. ISU has no seniors on this year’s squad.

The Cyclones tip off their season with the Cyclone Shootout on Oct. 28 at Hilton Coliseum following the Oklahoma State football game.

Winners of the lottery will be posted in the Daily. Lottery winners can pick up their tickets on Nov. 2 in the lobby outside of the University Bookstore. Only the payments of lottery winners will be processed.

Editor’s note: Due to space restrictions, this article was not published in the printed Daily.