Kuwait trip planned for students

Erica Brizzi

Plans are in the works to send a group of Iowa State students to Kuwait.

A field study trip to survey the impact of technology on the culture of the small Middle-Eastern country is being planned by the ISU Department of Anthropology for interested geography, anthropology and LAS 230 students Jan. 3-10.

Mushtaqur Rahman, professor of geography is coordinating the trip. He said the purpose is to survey local traditions and culture and study the country’s technological advances since the Persian Gulf War.

Through Rahman’s agreement with the Kuwaiti ambassador to the United States, the University of Kuwait has offered to provide free boarding, lodging and local transportation for the nine-student group. The ISU students will only be responsible for the airfare costs to and from Kuwait and any extra expenditures.

Rahman said students will also be encouraged to apply for extra financial assistance through the Study Abroad Program. The field study trip will partially fulfill course requirements in Geography 490 and 495.

“It is a privilege to go on the trip because you are a guest of Kuwait,” Rahman said.

Since the Persian Gulf War, Rahman said, Kuwait has undergone major changes in defense, political alignment, economic development and boundaries. The field study group will visit major Kuwait cities, survey oil wells and refineries and attend lectures at the University of Kuwait, looking at industry, technology and the country’s geography.

“There is substantial curiosity in the minds of many students to know more about it since Kuwait has become exceedingly important in the news since the Gulf War of 1991,” Rahman said. “Kuwait has undergone significant changes because of technology over the years. Women’s roles have changed in their society and the whole family structure has evolved.”

Rahman said America’s relationship with Kuwait has changed for the better since the Gulf War.

“They feel obligated to us in a way since we helped them re-establish their country and their freedom,” he said.

Rahman said students must have a good understanding of the Kuwaiti culture and be willing to work hard to prepare for the trip.

“This is a big responsibility for the students going,” he said. “It is important we leave a good impression of Iowa State on the people of Kuwait.”

Beginning Nov. 15, Rahman will offer four seminars to prepare students for the Kuwait trip. He said the seminars, which are required to receive credit, will familiarize students with Kuwaiti culture and language.

“The seminars will help students get a better grasp on the Kuwait culture, geography and people,” he said.

During the seminars, each student will choose a topic for further study on the trip. Students will be required to collect relevant information and materials and investigate various aspects of that topic. The students will be required to write a research report on their topics.

As former editor in chief of the American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, and as a past president and vice president of the Association of Muslim Social Scientists, Rahman is well known in Kuwait and other Muslim areas.

Any eligible student interested in the Kuwaiti trip may contact Rahman at 294-6145.