New card game hopes to teach students about sexual issues

Amanda Svec

College students can now learn about sex through a card game.

“Sex Is Not a Game,” the first question-and-answer game that addresses all sexual issues including sex, pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, is now available to college students with a recommendation from educational professionals.

“College students don’t know as much about sex as they thought, and through this game they can learn,” said Theresa Dugan, an official with Dealt Seriously, the company producing the game. “We have received a great deal of positive feedback from the game. Results of our test marketing with students has been excellent.”

The game, consisting of a deck of cards with 900 questions and answers, was created by a group of parents who felt sex education in the school systems was not effective and wanted to improve the format through which it was being taught.

“The game makes learning about sex a challenge,” Dugan said.

Some students feel the game could be beneficial.

Amy Klimek, risk management officer for an ISU sorority, said, “I think the game would make members more aware of sexual topics and the risks involved in sexual contact. It would be a way for members to discuss serious sexual topics in a casual and comfortable setting.”

“I think it would be a good thing for dorm floors, sororities, and fraternities to buy to learn more about sex, as long as it is not things we already learned in high school,” added Amy Tedesco, a senior in psychology.

Guys, too, are intrigued.

“The game sounds like it would benefit college students who don’t know a lot about sex,” said Ryan O’Rourke, a sophomore in business.

The game sells for about $35. A portion of the proceeds are donated to sex education programs.

“Students who have played the game have liked it and learned in the process,” Dugan said.

Students can call (800) 887-GAME for more information.