DPS officials say bike theft is avoidable

Jennifer Holland

In the blink of an eye a bike on campus can be swept away into the land of the unknown.

But the ongoing problem of bike theft can be curbed by proper locking techniques, officials say.

“A lot of people lose their bikes due to improper locking,” said Douglas Clabaugh, a lieutenant with the Iowa State Department of Public Safety.

In 1994, about $89,000 worth of bikes were reported stolen on the Iowa State campus. So far in 1995, about $36,000 in bikes have been reported stolen, said Lisa Safaeinili, manager of safety and health for DPS. Many bikes are taken from the residence halls because there’s so many locked up outside, Clabaugh added.

“The highest amount of bikes reported stolen were taken from Friley and Carver,” Safaeinili said.

Bikes locked to chain fences are an easy target. Thieves undo the chains and walk off with the bike. Other bikes improperly locked connect just the front wheel to the rack or are locked without including the rack at all, Clabaugh said.

“It’s good if they have a U-Lock and an additional piece of equipment to lock the bike up,” Safaeinili said.

People should be selective when they purchase a lock.

“The $2 chains with a combo can be broken by hand. If you have a $300 bike, buy an expensive lock. The U-Lock is probably the best out there, but it is not 100 percent,” Clabaugh said.

There is an anti-theft device that can be used to work with the U-Lock for better protection.

Bad Bones, a reinforcement device, is a bar that fits in the U-Lock to prevent a crow bar from prying it open, said Jim Derderian, service manager at Two Wheel Travel, 300 Main St.

“I’d recommend anything that would keep a bike safe,” Derderian said.

Registration is also a must, officials say.

“Everyone should register their bike in the National Crime Computer. A bike in Nebraska, Missouri or New York can be found. The serial number is vital,” Clabaugh said.

Bikes can be registered at ISU’s Parking Division office, City Hall and local bike shops.

“There have been some very expensive thefts on campus this year,” Safaeinili said. Expensive bikes should not be brought to campus, she added.

Insurance is available for bikes under a homeowners policy. A student’s bike can be covered under their parent’s policy, said Roman Lynch, an American Mutual Life Insurance agent.