International Week brings different cultures to campus

Julie Kline

Students wanting to travel will have the chance this week without leaving campus.

This week ISU is hosting the ninth annual International Week.

Events began yesterday evening with an international food fair, where students were able to sample some international delicacies.

Tomorrow, a seminar on immigration laws will be held at 2 p.m. in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

A program on Turkish Culture will be held at 7 p.m. in the Union’s Great Hall.

Wednesday will focus on relations between different cultures with a panel discussion at noon in room 244 of the Union.

It is sponsored by the YWCA and will feature Ames residents as panelists.

A dress-up event for children will be held at the University Village at 7 p.m.

Thursday’s activities will alternate between serious and fun. At 2 p.m. a program on finding jobs outside of the country through the Internet will be held in the Pioneer Room.

The evening will feature the annual Cafe au Lait performance of music in the Maintenance Shop at 7 p.m. The event is expected to attract one of the largest crowds of the week.

“It always seems to be a pretty good crowd puller,” said Larry Copeland, International Week publicity co-chair.

Friday’s events will include a Ports of Call display and music from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Women’s Center.

The week will conclude with the Grand Finale on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Great Hall. Events will feature a group of children from around the world performing songs from their native lands, said Sidi Tandia, a graduate student in agricultural education.

The program is also scheduled to feature international dancing including the Scottish Country Dancers.

“The finale will be a combination of fashion and international talent,” Copeland said.

The group hopes to make enough money to help international students in times of need. Copeland said in the past the event has made about $3,000 of the $5,000 the group takes in annually.

“It gives us a way to help the students when they are in financial need,” he said.