Substance abuse tests unfair

The first Iowa high school may soon act on the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that allows random drug testing of athletes.

In a move that surprised high school athletics, Mid-Prairie High School of Wellman, Iowa, suspended 24 football players Monday for drug and alcohol violations of training rules.

The athletic director confirmed this week that random testing, if approved by district administrators could start before the year is over.

Support for such an approval appears to be running strong. Since Mid-Prairie’s disclosure, several schools have been in contact, asking for information of how they plan to proceed. If Mid-Prairie takes the next step, it’s anticipated that other schools would soon follow suit.

But what remains unclear, however, is whether ‘the state’ should be conducting any kind of testing for information obtained through such searches.

Since testing is random, it’s a personal seizure before it’s a search. Furthermore, drug testing is far from foolproof; some studies report serious false positive rates.

It seems unreasonable to unnecessarily accuse all of our young student athletes of substance abuse.

Treading dangerous ground, doesn’t behavior like this leave all our lawful protections in jeopardy? Do we really trust ‘the state’ to be in the business of unwarranted searches? Should we?