Future of little sister programs in doubt

Jennifer Carrico

The fate of little sister programs at several Iowa State fraternities is uncertain.

Fraternities at ISU, as well as those across the nation, have been forced to abolish affiliated little sister groups to abide by their national policies.

Terri Houston, assistant dean of students, said that historically little sister organizations have not been recognized by national chapters, however, some ISU fraternities have acknowledged the affiliated programs.

Houston said the university cannot support a group that is discriminatory toward gender.

“The university cannot recognize any single gender organization that is not a fraternity or sorority,” she said.

Julie Hays, ISU’s greek affairs coordinator, said this is a long-standing issue that dates to the early 1980s.

“This is a gradual process from the university side. Once the language is in place then the university can take an active role in the issue,” Hays said.

Two ISU little sister programs tried to receive university recognition, but according to Hays, were denied acknowledgement.

“Two groups tried to become sororities, but they were not given university recognition because they had no separate identity outside of the fraternity,” Hays said.

FarmHouse Fraternity’s Sigma Phi Eta chapter, was one of the groups. It was denied recognition as a student organization by the Student Organizations and Activities Center.

Several Sigma Phi Eta members and a FarmHouse officer were contacted but declined comment.

“This issue will be discussed in the near future and actions against the groups will be in the handbook when it is reviewed with the dean of students,” Houston said. “Then we will review the status with the groups that currently have little sister groups.”

Hays said there are several disadvantages to little sister organizations.

“It hurts the sororities because it allows women to be a part of the greek system without actually being in a sorority. It is also a financial and resource strain on the fraternities,” she said.