Students search for hot fall fashions

Christie Leaf

What’s new and in style for fall on the Iowa State campus?

Corduroys are hitting the scene in a big way along with the ever-classic flannel shirts with new plaids in color customs.

A representative from Eddie Bauer, located in North Grand Mall, said layered looks are selling big. Flannel shirts over henley thermal tees are the top sellers with corduroy trousers accompanying them.

Popular fall colors are plums, taupes and olive greens.

This theme is carried over at the American Eagle Outfitters, also located in North Grand Mall. Stacy Salvo, the store’s assistant manager, said that corduroy is showing up everywhere.

It can be found in pants, skirts and bib overalls, as well as in oversized shirts. American Eagle is sticking to colors similar to last fall’s season with natural earth tones predominant throughout the store. Bright colors can be found in their flannels, often worn as a staple for both men and women, Salvo said.

If it’s a comfortable pair of jeans that your looking for, be sure to check out Denim and Discs, located along Lincoln Way in Campustown. Erin Welsh, a store employee, said used Levis are the best sellers. The more holes the better, Welsh said.

Kathy Murphy, from the Brass Buckle, said jeans of a darker denim are more popular in Ames this year. They look unwashed but feel soft and comfortable with a loose fit.

Other items selling big at the Buckle are styles with a retro feel for both men and women. Men’s shirts resembling the old style boxy bowling shirts with vertical stripes are selling well for fall also, Murphy said.

If you are on a tight budget, but still craving the retro look, the Goodwill Store on West Lincoln Way may have just what your looking for at a price you can afford.

Clothing found at the Goodwill is truly recycled, selling in larger cities for much higher prices. Kari Wille, a store employee, said she sees a lot of ISU students shopping at Goodwill.

“They mainly shop here for theme parties and for costumes for Halloween, but some students like to come in for 60s style retro clothing,” she said.