New era for MSA

Janet Uche Nnadi

To the Editor:

It was very misleading for the Sept. 7 article entitled “Students discuss problems of MSA” to focus on the problems of MSA as its recurring theme.

The fact is the goal of the discussion held on Sept. 6 was to develop a list of suggestions concerning students’ expectations for the MSA office and its new director and staff members.

The rebuilding of the office focuses on issues of today and tomorrow and de-emphasizes the problems of past days. To reach these suggestions did take some time during our discussion, but the purpose had been to develop a list for improvements, not “discuss problems of MSA,” which leaves a different impression upon readers.

Additionally, students were misrepresented in this article. Even though there was a brief description of their suggestions, the repeated theme of students discussing problems of the MSA office far out-weighed their points of improving the office.

I also found it ironic that students hadn’t been quoted — instead the two questions came from the only non-student in the group.

Consequently that news article did not accurately represent the discussion sponsored by the YWCA.

The real outcome of the discussion was a summary of student suggestions which was given to Rafael Rodriguez, the office’s new director.

After looking over those expectations, Mr. Rodriguez mentioned that several of the suggestions had already been or were in the process of being addressed by the new office.

Thus, the new era for Minority Students Affairs Office has begun.

Janet Uche Nnadi
Sophomore
pre-law