Rec center honors donor at ceremony

Julie Kline

Before Iowa State handed the University of Nevada-Las Vegas a decisive football defeat, the university recognized the achievements and contributions of two Las Vegas natives in a ceremony at the former Rec Center.

At about 10 a.m. Saturday, 200 people gathered for the dedication ceremony of the 220,000-square foot Ernst F. Lied Recreation/Athletic Center. The ceremony recognized Lied, a former Omaha and Las Vegas businessman. Lied’s legacy includes the Lied Foundation, which donated money to the Rec Center project.

The facility, first opened in May of 1990, is used by about 14,000 students and staff members each day, said Government of the Student Body President Dan Mangan.

“This is the one place where we can all come together, and that makes it a very special place,” Mangan said. Speakers also offered praise for the effectiveness and atmosphere of the center. “It provides for a good blend of the mind and body,” said Larry Cooney, Recreation Services Director.

“This is a most wonderful culmination of planning and doing,” added Master of Ceremonies and Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Thielen. “I can’t think of a better facility than the one we have.”

Gene Smith, athletic director, stressed the balance between the use of the facility by the general student body and student athletes. He said the center allows students to embody a good work ethic.

“I’m proud our student athletes can come here during the pre- and post-seasons to meet the work ethic,” Smith said. “It is our duty to find student athletes who meet this work ethic.”

Thielen also recognized the superior efforts of the building architects and Cooney.

“Cooney was most persistent in pushing the need for an indoor recreation and athletic facility,” he said.