Growing up in a college town

Katie Woolm

Over the years, a relationship between Ames High School and Iowa State University has been forged, with apparently positive results.

Bud Legg, counselor and associate principal at the high school, said: “This community is very unique in that there are not that many college communities in Iowa. It has really enhanced the quality of education here at the high school.”

Howaida El-Khabiry, a high school sophomore, said she comes to the ISU campus to use the tennis courts.

“I think the university has a positive impact on the community and the high school,” she said.

Jason Foster, a high school junior, said he comes to campus to use resources at Parks Library. Foster, who also plays soccer, said he thinks there is equal support for both collegiate and high school athletic programs.

Some high school students in college towns feel dwarfed by university activities. But Eleanor Jensen — a high school junior who plays soccer and is on the swim team — said she feels there is good community support for her activities, even though there is a Division I university in her backyard.

One of the biggest advantages ISU has to offer Ames High may be the chance for students to take classes for college credit.

Because of the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act of the 1980s, Ames High will pay up to $250 per course for students to take classes at ISU if they are not available at the high school.

Legg said there are 12 to 17 Ames High students taking advantage of the program. Math, foreign language and computer science classes are some of ISU’s more popular classes for high school students.

“The school district spends about $8,000 a year on this, which is a good buy for everybody,” Legg said. “We couldn’t hire a teacher to meet all the needs of these students for $8,000.”

Legg said 65 to 70 percent of Ames High students go on to a 4-year college, many to ISU.

“I think the big thing is that ISU is a quality institution when it comes to getting the biggest bang for your buck, for both the parents and the kids,” he said.

A few years ago, an ISU recruiting program’s theme at the high school was: “You can go away to college at Iowa State.”

Legg, who has been at Ames High for 18 years, said there are other, nonacademic, ways in which the high school benefits from ISU’s presence.

Along with the learning atmosphere, Ames attracts social and cultural events because of Iowa State. Legg cited the agricultural conference that President Clinton attended this year, as well as concerts by the New York Philharmonic and even Hootie & the Blowfish.

He said the high school’s athletic programs benefit as well.