Daily diatribe

Jason Carnes

To the Editor:

I would like to respond to the opinions expressed by the Iowa State Daily Editorial Board concerning Nebraska Head Coach Tom Osborne.

The subject ostensibly under discussion was Coach Osborne’s banning of the Daily Nebraskan from attending football practices. Osborne did this in response to two editorial cartoons which made fun of some of his players and their recent legal problems. Osborne eventually allowed reporters back into practice, but refused interviews.

The discussion of this topic in an intelligent manner would not have provoked me to write to the editor. The Daily, however, decided to focus their attack on Tom Osborne’s character instead of his actions.

In addition to being known as a great football coach, Osborne is widely respected for his down-to-earth mentality, humble demeanor and upstanding character. To claim that “winning a national championship has affected his brain,” and that he now “views himself as the supreme ruler of Nebraska football country,” is preposterous.

Tom Osborne consistently presents himself in an unassuming manner. He is quick to praise the actions and efforts of his players and assistant coaches before his own.

I won’t deny that the fact Osborne banned the school newspaper from practices deserves debate. I find it disheartening, though, that the Daily missed its opportunity to discuss the issue intelligently.

Instead, the Daily felt it necessary to slander Osborne’s character. For the Daily to end its diatribe by saying Osborne, “has a lot of growing up to do,” shows how misdirected their arguments became.

I sincerely hope that the Daily will someday grow to realize the difference between what a person is, and what a person does.

Jason Carnes

Graduate student

Genetics