Vet Med instructor to be key speaker at national convention

Regina Galer

An Iowa State Veterinary Medicine instructor has made his way onto the national veterinary medicine scene with his innovative “Bedside Manner” course.

Eugene Deisinger, assistant director for clinical services at Student Counseling Services has been invited to speak on veterinarian communication skills at the American Embryo Transfer Association’s October national convention.

Deisinger also teaches Veterinary Medicine 490, “Developing Clinical Communication and Listening,” or self-titled, “Bedside Manner.”

In conjunction with the major themes of the his ISU course, Deisinger will give the October presentation on the communication needs of a veterinarian, focusing on the relations between the doctor and his or her “human” customer.

“A lot of times students get into their jobs and fields and find out that there are people that go along with these animals,” Deisinger said.

Deisinger’s convention participation was requested by an association member from Tennessee who read a journal article featuring Deisinger and a colleague’s interview on “veterinary bedside manner” printed in the Swine Practitioner and Bovine Medical.

Going on its fourth year, the spring semester course has been successful in terms of enrollment and student feedback, Deisinger said. An enrollment cap has been set at 12 students per section. The college offers two or three sections each spring.

“It seems like each time we offer it we have more people,” Deisinger said. “We are putting approximately 30 students through per year.”

The course is worth one credit and runs a half semester, approximately two hours per week.

Deisinger said that he knows of only one other veterinary medicine program in the country with a similar class.

“The veterinary students at Iowa State are just a delight to work with,” he said. “They’re bright and inquisitive … This class is a nice representation of Iowa State’s commitment to preparing professionals to enter the work force.”