August heat leaves many people irritated

Anne Rosso

The heat may have let up for the time being, but the memories of the recent sweltering weather is still very much in the minds of many students.

“Living in a dorm without air conditioning is hot. Real hot,” said sophomore Benn Husmann of Birch Hall.

Husmann said fans and open windows help little. “I have to take off my shirt if I just want to stand around,” he said.

Residents living without air conditioning have had to make adjustments for the unusually hot weather this summer. The heat has made studying and sleeping difficult for some students.

“When I try to study in my room, I keep losing papers because they stick to my arms,” said sophomore Todd Bush of Towers. “It makes it hard to get any work done. And sleeping is really tough when you stick to the sheets.”

Living in such hot quarters can also affect a students’ social life.

“You live a lonely life if you live without air conditioning,” Husmann said. “Nobody wants to come over because my room — it’s just a big sweaty sweat box.”

Freshman Jeff Bayliss, a Towers resident, said it has been cooler outside then inside.

“Because of the heat, it’s tough to stay indoors,” Bayliss said. “So I just go to cooler buildings.”

Students have been taking refuge in air-conditioned buildings like Parks Library and residence hall commons areas.

“I’ve seen people sleeping on the couches in the Towers commons,” said sophomore Gary Golke of Towers. “They just take their pillows and blankets down there because it’s much cooler there than in the rooms.”

For undergraduates who live on campus, only Maple-Willow-Larch and part of Friley are air-conditioned.

Charles Frederiksen, director of residence halls, said there are no immediate plans to install air conditioning in the older dormitories on campus.

“There just aren’t enough months during the academic year to justify it,” he said. The university only air conditions residence buildings which are occupied 12 months out of the year.

Often, students are unaware when choosing a residence hall which buildings have air conditioning.

“I didn’t know that this building wasn’t air-conditioned when I first came here,” said freshman Justin Eccles of Helser Hall. “If I had known, I probably would’ve tried to get into Friley.”

But Frederiksen said students are made aware of the air conditioning situation in residence halls. “The information is in the material we give to prospective students,” he said.

Patricia Robinson, coordinator of the university’s Residence Life program, said students cannot request air-conditioning on their residence hall applications because “we don’t consider air conditioning much of a factor in dorm decisions. Usually the heat isn’t a problem.”

Some students, however, believe air conditioning is indeed a major issue when deciding where to live.

Sophomore Sara Troy of Willow Hall, said she was unaware of the air conditioning when she moved in, but it came as a pleasant surprise.

“I really think the school should make more of an effort to inform students about the building conditions,” Troy said. “Students should know what they’re getting into.”

But even those students who live in air-conditioned buildings have problems.

“Because I live with air conditioning, I really don’t want to leave the building,” Troy said. “I just want to lay around in my cool room all day. It’s just too hot outside.”