ISU to offer more night classes

Cathy Grause

Anyone looking to pick up a few course credits or to expand their education, can take advantage of four new course options at Iowa State.

Business communication, technical communication, Latin American history and colonial American history classes will each be offered in an eight-week session. The classes will meet in Ross Hall twice a week from Sept. 25 to Nov. 17.

“In order to increase evening offerings, we decided to look at an eight-week format,” said Kathy Jones, ISU associate registrar.

Though adding the four night classes will “contribute to getting students through in a more timely fashion,” that is not the driving force behind the new classes, Jones said.

“The history on this goes back 20 years. It is not a new concept,” added Ellen Fairchild, adult program coordinator.

The university wants to expand its class offerings to meet the needs of the state, while at the same time steer clear of competition with other institutions, Fairchild said.

“We picked these classes because they’re all courses we turned people away from,” Jones said. “We had to find classes of interest to people by looking at waiting lists.”

By expanding the night courses available, the university is hoping to appeal to a new audience. Adults who are not currently enrolled, can register for the classes by calling 294-1889. No application fee or transcript is required, unless they choose to attend Iowa State full-time. Full-time students can add any of the courses to their schedule by filling out an add slip and taking it to Room 10 of Alumni Hall. Students should add before the first night of class. Because the courses move at an accelerated rate, a week’s worth of material can be missed in just one night.

“I have to collapse things. What I usually teach in a week, I now have to teach in a day,” said Clair Keller, ISU history professor. “I’m cutting back on some of the reading, because I can’t expect as much.”

Keller plans to use more visuals and require more small projects to prepare students for group discussions. “I am trying to make it interesting to keep them awake and me awake,” Keller said.

“We are trying not to burden facility members,” Fairchild added.

Students who are currently enrolled are predominately the ones taking advantage of the new openings, Jones said.

In order to take the two history courses, students must have at least a sophomore standing. Students must be at least a junior to take the English courses. The prerequisites are more flexible for adult students not currently enrolled.