Cyclone golfers get third in Illinois

Ryan Harvey

Seniors Beth Bader and Holly Duncan provided the leadership for the Iowa State women’s golf team over the weekend.

Both golfers carded a 233 stroke total over the 54- hole Illinois State Redbird Classic Saturday and Sunday in Normal, IL to tie for second place in the individual standings.

Bader claimed the runner-up medalist honor because of her performance on the number one handicap hole.

“I am really happy for Beth and Holly,” said Women’s Head Coach Julie Manning. “They thought they could win the tournament. They were really chomping at the bit.”

ISU also took third in the team title chase out of 17 teams in the tournament with a total of 957 strokes.

“I was a little disappointed with our team score,” Manning said. “We just need to come around.”

A trio of sophomores also played in the tournament to round out the varsity squad. Sara Linneman posted a 249 stroke total to lead the sophomores. Cathy Matthews added a 250, and Fiona Watson carded a 253.

Manning said the high scores by the sophomores may have reflected a lack of varsity college experience.

“None of the sophomores have seen a lot of action,” Manning said. “It really showed with our sophomore jitters.”

Matthews’s first 27 holes pleased Manning.

“I was pleased with Cathy’s first 27 holes in which she shot four over par, but then she just went downhill after that,” Manning said. “I think that partly comes from a lack of experience.”

Individual and team champion honors were given to the Missouri Tigers. The Tigers were led by Letitia Moses who carded a 231 stroke total, while the Tigers as a team totaled 942 strokes for the tournament, just 15 strokes ahead of the Cyclones.

Manning was surprised by the Tigers’s performance in the tournament.

“They have a freshman recruit from South Africa, and they got another recruit that we wanted badly,” said Manning. “They will be one of the top teams in the central region.”

Purdue University finished second in the team title chase, four strokes ahead of the Cyclones and 11 strokes behind the Tigers.

Manning said her varsity squad has shown the effects of a lack of playing in summer tournaments.

“Our lack of summer tournament experience really shows,” Manning said. “I see signs of a lack of competition. They need to do more than just go out and hit golf balls.”

Manning is optimistic that their lack of summer play will not carry over for long.

“Hopefully, this will not last,” Manning said. “These golfers should be shooting around 75 [strokes] rather than 83’s, but we may pay a price for a while because of it.”

“They will all come around,” she said. “By the time we play at Florida [Oct. 13-15] they will have enough experience that they should be lights out.”

The Cyclones will next play in the Iowa Hawkeye Invitational this weekend September 16-17 in Iowa City.

Manning is optimistic about the tournament this weekend.

“I think we can win this tournament,” Manning said. “There are only five teams competing, and we should win the team tournament. We can also very easily win the individual medalist honor.”