Veishea plans already in works

Julie Kline

Even though the annual Veishea celebration is still almost seven months away, plans are already in the works to make the weekend as diverse as possible.

To prepare for one of the nation’s largest student-run celebrations, Veishea leaders are looking for 213 people to fill positions on several committees and subcommittees, said Stephanie Carney Michaels, parade co-chair.

This is the first year Veishea will be receiving student funding. As a result, the general co-chairs are attempting to fill the committees with a greater variety of students.

Mark Lee, general co-chair, said he wants the committee members to be representative of the university students as a whole to ensure the event has something which everyone can enjoy.

“It’s not just our celebration; it’s an Iowa State celebration,” Lee said. “It’s a great way to get involved and get to know a lot of people.”

The committees cater to a variety of student interests, ranging from business-related areas, to marketing to entertainment, such as those involved with planning the parade and Stars Over Veishea, Lee said.

Although the sub-committees are strictly volunteer, Lee said there are several advantages to getting involved with Veishea. He said the positions give real-world experience in dealing with organizations and people. Additionally, some students may be able to receive credit toward graduation or do an internship through the committees depending on departmental requirements.

The committees are already planning to make several changes to appeal to more students. Veishea officials are trying to expand the celebration into a week-long event by including more educational exhibits and evening entertainment, Lee said. They are also trying to get more input from the student body through the newly formed Student Advisory Group which will try to get input from various Ames and ISU groups.

Next week Veishea will send representatives to various residence hall dining centers and set up a booth in the Memorial Union on Tuesday.

There is also an informational meeting scheduled from 7 to 8 p.m. in the RCA large conference room on Tuesday and in the Pine Room of the Memorial Union on Wednesday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Students can pick up applications at the Student Activities Center, Room 64 in the Union, or the Veishea office in Room 40 of the Union.