New juice bar proposed for Campustown

Bill Kopatich

A vacant Campustown nightclub may be transformed into a juice bar.

The proposed club would feature exotic dancing for patrons over 18. A loophole in state law allows clubs to present nude dancers if alcohol is not sold on the premises.

Bob Corieri, owner of the building now partially occupied by Dean’s List, said he is in “preliminary discussions” with an individual interested in converting the remainder of the building into a juice bar.

He declined to disclose the name of the prospective tenant, but said the talks did not involve Dean’s List owners, who lease space from him. Corieri also said Brad Dindors, owner of BJ’s Lucky Lady, a former strip club on Main Street, was not interested in the space.

University officials expressed concern about having a strip club so close to campus.

“I would hope that Campustown businesses could find better modes of entertainment for our students,” said Tom Thielen, vice president for student affairs. “I think having it in the middle of Campustown, that close to campus, is not good for us.”

“We need to encourage Campustown businesses and organizations to find other ways to enhance the abilities of their women workers,” added Celia Naylor-Ojurongbe, director of the Iowa State Women’s Center. “However, we need to be careful about making judgments about exotic dancers.”

Student opinion is apparently mixed on the strip club proposal.

“I think it is totally disgusting that someone would even think about opening a juice bar in Campustown,” said Michelle Knittel, a senior in dietetics.

“It would give people under 21 a place to go,” said Brian Davis, a sophomore in construction engineering.

According to a local official, there are no city ordinances that would prohibit adults under the drinking age from entering a juice bar.

“There is nothing we can do at this point,” Ames Police Chief Dennis Ballentine said. “Even if the city council passed an ordinance preventing 18- and 19-year-olds from entering a juice bar, chances are it would be challenged at the state level.”

Ballentine said he is not in favor of opening a juice bar in Campustown.

“Juice bars are breeding ground for illegal activity,” Ballentine said. “I do not see any benefits from such a place.”

Some Campustown business owners have also expressed apprehension about having a juice bar so close to their businesses.

“I’m not for it all,” said Scott Ramspott one of the owners of Dean’s List. “Personally, I don’t think it would be good for business. I don’t know if it would attract the clientele we are looking for.”

Ramspott said even though he is against sharing the building with a strip club, he would make an effort to get along with any new tenant.

Ramspott added that he and his partners are attempting to acquire the vacant space in the building.