English 335 and Woody Allen: not just for class

Scott Andresen

Just think. Where can students see movies like Walk in the Clouds and Crimes and Misdemeanors in the same town in a theater setting? Well, not much thought is required because it’s right in front of your eyes, beyond the popcorn.

Tonight at Carver 101, Iowa State students can check out Crimes and Misdemeanors, a comedy directed by Woody Allen. This movie is brought to campus via English 335 and Professor Silet, but is open to any ISU student who has two bucks to spare.

“It’s designed to basically make films available on campus for students to see,” Silet said. “To build a broader, better movie offering.”

Every Tuesday night at 7 p. m. English 335 will congregate in Carver Hall and enjoy a film by or dealing with Woody Allen. “The topic varies each semester, but I wanted to teach Allen in context to film comedy,” Silet said.

Films being shown this semester range from Duck Soup, a 1933 Marx Brothers offering, to The Philadelphia Story, a 1940 film starring Cary Grant and Catherine Hepburn. All of these films, in one way or other, influenced Woody Allen, Silet said.

“I think Woody Allen is the most interesting American film director working,” Silet said. “While Allen’s a comedic film director, he deals with serious issues.”

Not only will the students laugh, but they’ll also be critiquing and of all things, working. “There is work involved, it’s not just Pepsi and popcorn,” Silet said. “We do several things, it’s more than watching and talking about [the film].”

And if the film intrigues you so much that you want to stay after and join in on the classroom fun, Silet doesn’t have a problem with that. “Occasionally we have people who stay after the film and listen to the discussion,” Silet said. “I used to be able to predict which films would do well, but I can’t anymore.”

It’s Tuesday night and there’s not a movie in town that you haven’t seen, well now you can be rest assured of seeing a different movie every week.

Head on down to Carver 101, with two bucks in tow, and be prepared to laugh and think.