AGC wins chapter of the year honors

Erica Brizzi

Iowa State’s Associated General Contractors chapter was recently named the outstanding AGC student chapter of the year.

The 100 members of the AGC club are mostly construction engineering, civil engineering and architecture majors. The club meets twice a month in addition to community service projects and takes frequent field trips to construction areas.

AGC projects last year included an OSHA training session for ISU students, banquets to recognize scholarship recipients, attending construction conventions, food drives and visits to local high schools to talk about careers in construction engineering.

“One of AGC’s most rewarding experiences last year was working with the Habitat for Humanity to help renovate old houses for low-income families,” said Amy Stairs, chapter president.

“I think our chapter did an outstanding job of going out and getting involved in the community,” Stairs added. “The cabinet was extremely devoted and all of our members worked very hard last year.”

AGC’s former advisor agreed.

“The chapter really puts a lot of emphasis on community service and learning about construction in a practical sense,” said Jim Rowings, former AGC advisor and chair of the Construction Engineering Department.

AGC plans to pick up where members left off last year with new projects.

“Our goal is to win outstanding chapter again this year by working even harder and getting even more involved in the community,” Stairs said.

This year’s activities include the possible addition of a first-aid session for ISU students and helping an injured ISU engineering student finish a construction project.

Stairs will attend a ceremony in Nashville, Tenn., in October to accept a plaque and a reward check on behalf of the chapter.