ISU Credit Union caters to students

Bill Kopatich

When choosing a financial institution, Iowa State students and staff often overlook an institution that caters almost exclusively to the ISU community.

The ISU Credit Union, considered by its president as one the best kept secrets in Ames, is located at the corner of Lincoln Way and Grand Avenue.

It is available to students, faculty and staff, as well as members of their immediate families. The credit union operates seven ATM machines on campus.

“We are very similar to other financial institutions, in that we offer a full range of services,” said David Slaughter, president of the ISU Credit Union.

“The main difference is we serve mainly the ISU community. Because we are a nonprofit organization, the money we make is reinvested back into the credit union.”

The credit union’s nonprofit status is an asset to students and all members, Slaughter said.

“The members own the credit union,” said Jan Flick, personnel manager. “They are not paying for a board of directors. This helps us offer reasonable rates.”

The ISU Credit Union was established in 1932 as a teller window in the Physical Plant that was only open during the noon hour.

Over the years the credit union has grown tremendously, but officials say it is still accessible to the ISU community.

“Bigger ain’t better; it’s just bigger,” Slaughter said. “Right now there’s a big drive to have everything bigger. This leaves little space for the personal touch. We strive for the personal touch.”