While you were gone . . .

Chad Calek and Scott Andresen

The fall semester has finally started at Iowa State. Many students and faculty are returning to campus with optimistic views on the future of ISU athletics. While the future is bright, this summer also proved to be a lift for the athletic department. For those who were away this summer, here is a run down of the athletic happenings that made headlines across the state.

Loren Meyer and Fred Hoiberg chosen in NBA draft

Loren Meyer and Fred Hoiberg, both considered potential first round draft picks, waited anxiously for the NBA draft.

Meyer, the Ruthven, Iowa native who averaged 15.7 points and 8.9 rebounds per game last season, was chosen by the Dallas Mavericks as the 24th pick overall.

“He’s everything you want in a big man,” ISU teammate Hoiberg said. “He runs the court, he rebounds the ball, he’s an excellent scorer around the basket.”

Ames native Hoiberg was chosen by the Indiana Pacers as the 52nd overall pick. The “Mayor” averaged 19.9 points per game for ISU in his senior season. Hoiberg also holds the record for most three-pointers made at ISU (183), most three-pointers attempted (457), and finished as third highest scorer in Cyclone basketball history with 1,993 points.

McCarney dismisses six ISU football players

Dan McCarney accepted the head football coaching position at ISU with the intention of rebuilding a program. It didn’t take long before McCarney started dismissing players who had broken team rules.

Senior Artis Garris, senior Calvin Branch, junior Gabe Toft, sophomore Geoff Turner, and sophomore Tendai Mawengwa were dismissed from the team after violations ranging from check forgery to drunk driving.

McCarney quickly sent a message that conduct unbecoming an Iowa State football player would not be tolerated, regardless of status on the football team.

Cyclone baseball team finishes second in Big Eight tournament

The Iowa State baseball team crushed Nebraska in the first round of the Big Eight baseball tournament, 14-5, and then dominated Kansas State in the second round, 11-2.

The Clones met Oklahoma State in the championship game, needing just one victory to win the tournament. The Cowboys proved to be too much as the Cyclones fell by scores of 8-7 and 17-2.

“We had a chance to win, we thought we were going to, but I’m pleased,” head baseball coach Bobby Randall said. “This proves that ISU can be and is expected to be successful. It’s a program that the community can be proud of and one that reflects the academic and athletic excellence of the university.”

Bill Fennelly named new ISU women’s head basketball coach

When Iowa State women’s basketball coach Theresa Becker resigned to accept an assistant coaching position at Nebraska, a solid replacement was needed to rebuild a team that compiled an 18-36 record over the past three years.

That solid replacement was Bill Fennelly. Fennely coached for seven years at the University of Toledo during which he compiled an outstanding record of 166-53. He also lead his team to three Mid-American Conference titles, along with a birth to the NCAA tournament and three NIT appearances.

“I want us to be a factor in every single game that we play,” Fennelly said. “I’ve met all the players and I am very impressed, excited and ready to go.”

Cathy Klein leaves Creighton to lead ISU women’s soccer

Former Creighton head women’s soccer coach Cathy Klein came to Iowa State after compiling a 14-4 record last season with the Bluejays, including an 8-0 home record.

Klein arrived at ISU with previous coaching experience against Big Eight opponents. Nebraska, which lost to only four teams last season, dropped two games to the Klein-coached Bluejays.

“I’m here and excited to be here. I hope to build a very competitive program, very quickly,” Klein said. “The key to any success at any level is work ethic. I’m a strong advocate of working hard at whatever you do.”