Religion touching more students’ lives

Erin Bresnan

The importance of religion in the lives of students on the Iowa State campus may be on the rise.

Several church officials in the Ames area said they have noticed an increase in the amount of registered student parishioners or an increase in the involvement of the students in the parish over the past 10 years.

One of the Roman Catholic parishes in Ames, St. Thomas Aquinas, located across from the Memorial Union on Lincoln Way, has several programs geared toward college-age parishioners.

Father Jon Seda said he has noticed a definite increase in student involvement with the church over the past five years.

“Life has so many instabilities now,” he said. “There is a tremendous search for spirituality and religion … more than the education experience at ISU.”

Seda said he feels students today have more complications to deal with than the students of his college years. He said students want the tradition and spirituality in their lives that religion provides.

The student group at St. Thomas meets Thursday nights at the church for a liturgy service.

ISU freshman Elizabeth Conway said she joined a student religious group because she was seeking people with the same values that she subscribed to.

The Salt Company, a ministry of the Cornerstone Church in Ames, is a place where students meet every Thursday night to celebrate through modern music and prayer.

Peter Matthews, pastor of the Cornerstone Church, is the assistant director of the Salt Company. He said the Salt Company attracts students because “the worship is done in a way that makes sense to this generation.”

Some of the topics include: what it means to be a man or woman in today’s society, homosexuality and relating to parents.

Matthews said membership in the group has grown rapidly in past years.

Some students said they feel that their faith has become stronger since they have gone to college.

ISU sophomore Mandy Egland now describes herself as a born-again Christian.

“When you were at home, Mom and Dad were always there for you. At college your parents can’t always be there for you, but God is there for you 24-seven,” she said.

Egland added that: “It takes [being] on your own to make you realize that you need this [religion].”