Changes abound at Daily to serve our readers

Troy Mccullough

Ready or not, today’s the first day of the rest of your semester. And once again bringing the world to your doorstep (or at least a drop box close by) is the Iowa State Daily.

There are two major changes to the Daily this year. First, the paper has taken a technological leap forward and is now being published on-line via the World Wide Web. All local articles, columns and photographs are now accessible through the Daily’s home page. In addition to current issues of the paper, readers can also access past issues of the Daily.

The idea behind the internet edition of the paper is to provide you easier access to the Daily. It also gives ISU alumni a chance to keep tabs on what’s going on at their alma mater. Feedback on the internet edition has been very positive. People from across the country and about a dozen foreign countries have dialed up the homepage since it originated in June.

Another change you may notice is that we are using full color on our front page every day this semester. Last spring we published full color papers about three times a week. But this semester we will be full color all the time. This will hopefully be more aesthetically pleasing for our readers as well as allowing our staff to focus more on the Daily’s visual detail.

The Daily’s staff has also done some shuffling around since last spring.

Chris Miller has moved off the sports desk and into the head news editor position. He will oversee the Daily’s city/state news desk and university news desk. Chris has written for the Des Moines Register and recently completed an internship at the Omaha World-Herald. Chris is a member of FarmHouse Fraternity and is a junior majoring in journalism and philosophy from Marshalltown.

Returning as university news editor is Colleen Mullen. As the Daily’s university editor, Colleen is responsible for campus news coverage. She recently completed an internship at the Harlan Tribune and the Harlan News Advertiser. Colleen is a junior with a double major in journalism and sociology from Casey. She is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority.

Jenny Hykes has taken over the city/state news desk. Jenny will be in charge of the Daily’s news coverage of Ames and the state of Iowa. Jenny is a senior in journalism from Adel.

Scott Andresen, more affectionately known as the Tattooed Guru, has moved from the summer sports desk to the Daily’s Currents editor position. Scott will be responsible for all of the Daily’s arts and entertainment news and features. And for all those wondering, the Guru’s column will continue this year. Scott is a senior in history from Marion.

Jason Howland has taken over the Daily’s sports desk. Jason is the paper’s former wire editor and a long-time staff writer. He recently completed an broadcast news internship at KIMT-TV in Mason City. Jason is a senior in journalism from Riceville.

Helping Jason will be Assistant Sports Editor Chad Calek. Chad is from Persia, Iowa, and is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Tim Davis is the opinion page editor. Tim has been a long-time Daily columnist, editorial board member and staff writer. Tim has been very active in theater both on and off campus, holding several leading roles in ISU productions. This summer, Tim was an apprentice at Berkshire Theatre Festival in Massachusetts. He’s a member of Theta Chi Fraternity and is a junior in a “transitional period.”

Taking over as photo editor is Michael Faas. Mike is an award winning photographer who has held

photography internships at the Mason City Globe-Gazette and the Ames Daily Tribune. Mike is a junior majoring in philosophy from Marshalltown.

Returning as the paper’s editorial systems manager is Jamey Hansen. Jamey is responsible for nearly all of the paper’s computer operations, as well as the paper’s computer graphics and the on-line edition of the paper. He is a senior in elementary education from Aviano Airbase in Italy.

Earning his first editor position is wire editor Aaron Barstow. He will be responsible for editing and laying out Associated Press stories that run in the paper. He is a junior majoring in journalism from Cape Cod.

As for myself, I have been on the Daily staff for more than three years, and have held internships at the Knoxville Journal-Express and the Des Moines Register. I hope you enjoy the semester, and enjoy reading the Daily.

Troy McCullough is a senior in journalism mass communications from Pleasantvile. He is the Daily’s editor in chief.